Chicory – 900 gms
Lemon – 1
Pinch of salt
Water – 100 ml
Cold, cooked ham – 4-8 slices
Thick white sauce for coating
Gruyere cheese – 25 gms (grated)
- Remove any discolored leaves from the heads of the chicory. Trim the stumps if necessary..
- Wash the heads, put them in a saucepan, with the juice of the lemon, a pinch of salt and the water.
- Cover the saucepan, and boil the chicory quickly for 15 minutes.
- Let the heads cool, drain them and press the water out.
- Roll each head in a slice of ham.
- Arrange the rolls neatly in a shallow serving dish, and cover the whole dish with the sauce.
- Sprinkle well with the grated cheese, and set the dish in a moderately heated oven for 10 minutes.