Bitter gourd – ½ kg
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric – ½ tsp
Aamchur – ¾ tsp
Panch-poran – 1 ½ tsp
Salt – ½ tbsp + ¼ tsp
Mustard oil – 2 tbsp
- Heat the oil, burn it, turn down the heat, throw in the panch-poran and cover till the spluttering subsides.
- Immediately add the karela, chilli powder and turmeric, and toss together till well mixed.
- Cover tightly and cook on the lowest possible heat, stirring occasionally.
- The karela shouldn’t turn brown, but remain greenish-yellow.
- If it offer to stick and burn, sprinkle in 1 tbsp water.
- When tender add the aamchur, and salt if required.
- Serve with rice.