Soba noodles - 500 gms
Bream fillet - 500 gms
Yellowtail fillet with skin still on
Oil for deep frying
Dashi - 1 cup
Mirin - 1/3 cup
Light soy sauce - 1/3 cup
Wasabi powder -3 tsp
Shallots - 2
Grated fresh ginger root - 4 tsp
- Cut bream into bite sized pieces.
- Slice yellow tail in 1/2 cm slices but leave assembled as one fillet for the sashimi.
- Cook noodles in plenty of boiling salted water until tender but still firm. Drain and keep warm.
- Place dashi, mirin, soya sauce in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until it just reaches boiling point. Remove from heat and pour into individual dipping bowls and allow to come to room temperature.
- Mix wasabi powder to a smooth paste with a little water.
- Prepare the batter for tempura. Coat the bream in the tempura batter and cook. Arrange noodles in a basket or serving bowl with the tempura and sashimi on separate dishes. Garnish with wasabi paste. Serve with the dipping sauce and pickles.