Mutton ribs (tabak maaz) – 1 kg
Fennel seeds - 1 ½ tsp
Bay leaves -2
Green cardamom – 15
Black pepper – 1 tsp
Ginger powder – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – 2 ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Garam masala – 1 tsp + ½ tsp
Bland oil – 2 tbsp
- Cut the ribs into large pieces with 2-3 bones each. Wash and drain the meat.
- Make a potli by tying all the whole spices in a piece of clean thin white cloth.
- Bring 2 ½ cups water to the boil in the pressure cooker.
- Add the potli and all the other ingredients except the oil and ½ garam masala.
- Cook under pressure for 8-10 minutes till the meat is tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the cooker and drain in a colander or pat dry on kitchen paper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the meat and fry on high heat till crisp on the outside.
- Before serving, sprinkle with the remaining ½ tsp garam masala, and a little more salt if necessary.