Arhar dal -2 tbsp
Tamarind - lemon size
Turmeric- 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Jaggery - small piece
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp (chopped)
For Rasam Powder:
Coconut - 1/2
Coriander seeds -1 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
Red chillies - 4
- Grate the coconut. Dry roast red chillies, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds till aroma comes then add grated coconut and saute for few seconds.
- Cool and grind to make powder.
- Cook arhar dal till soft and tender.
- Soak tamarind in hot water and extract juice from it.
- Put tamarind water, cooked dal and 500 ml of water in a vessel and bring it to boil.
- Add rasam powder, jaggery, salt and turmeric and cook in low flame for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in pan, add mustard and curry leaves. Fry till mustard crackles then pour over rasam.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice.