Halitosis refers to foul or bad breath, which is not an uncommon condition. The most common cause of halitosis is diseased gums. Dental decay at the roots of the teeth may result in abscesses in the gums with foul- smelling pus, giving an objectionable odour to the breath.
- Take one tsp of fenugreek seeds and boil them in half litre of water.Allowing it to simmer for 15 minutes over low flame. Stain and drink it.
- Avocado effectively removes intestinal putrefaction or decomposition which is one of the most important causes of bad breath.
- Chewing guava is an excellent tonic for the teeth and gums. It helps cure bleeding from gums and stops bad breath.Chewing tender leaves of guava tree also stops bleeding from gums and bad breath.
- Parsley is a valuable cure for bad breath. Two cups of water should be boiled and several springs of parsley, coarsely chopped, should be steeped in this water along with two or three whole cloves or a quarter tsp of ground cloves. This mixture should be stirred occasionally while cooling. It should then be strained and used as a mouthwash or gargle several times a day.
- All fruit and vegetable juices are beneficial in the treatment of halitosis and should be taken liberally by those suffering from this disorder. Juices from green vegetables are especially valuable.
- One should avoid refined carbohydrate foods, such as white sugar, white bread and as well as meat and eggs.