Cauliflower – 1 medium head
Red pepper – 1
Celery – 2 stalks
Salt – 1 tsp
Rice vinegar – ½ cup
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Water – 1/3 cup
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. Bring a large amount of salted water to boil and drop the florets into it. Cook for 30 seconds, then drain and plunge the cauliflower into a bowl of iced water. Drain and pat dry with towel.
- Wash and de-seed the pepper and cut into thin strips.
- Place the cauliflower and pepper into a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1/3 tsp of salt.
- Wash the celery and slice into strips on the diagonal. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with 2/3 tsp of salt. Leave to stand for 10 minutes, then drain.
- In a bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar and water. Bring to the boil over a medium heat. Remove and allow cooling to room temperature.
- Place all the vegetables in a large glass bowl and pour the vinegar over. Cover and leave for 8 hours in the refrigerator before serving.