Indian Name: Projmoda
- Parsley is an erect, biennial or short lived perennial herb with a fleshy aromatic tap root and dark green shiny leaves.
- The Romans used parsley as a remedy for sore eyes and as a tonic to increase the strength of their gladiators.
- It contains lots of vitamin A and C in their leaves.
- Parsley contains a glucoside apiin and an essential oil which contain apiol.
Healing power and curative properties
- Parsley is rich in ascobic acid and hence is a good blood cleanser.It increases the secretion and discharge of urine and relative flatulence.
- raw parsley juice has some metabolic properties for the norrmal functioning og the adrenal and thyroid glands.
- Parsley aids digestion and helps prevent the formation of gas within the stomach and intestines.
- It is one of the most popular remedies for indigestion.
- A couple of sprigs of the fresh herb or a quarter tsp of the dried herb can be taken with a glass of water in this condition.
- Parsley is excellent for the genito-urinary tract, being of great assistance in the calculi of the kidney's and bladder, albuminuria, nephritis and other kidney troubles.
- It has been used as an effective food remedy for dropsy.
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE:
- The elements in parsley help to maintain the blood vessels, particularly the capillaries and arterial system, in a healthy condition, It is thus very helpful in high blood pressure.
- Raw parsley juice, mixed with carrot juice, is effective in all ailments connected with the eyes and optic nerves.
- It is good for weak eyes, ulceration of the cornea, cataracts, conjunctivitis and ophthalmia or sluggishness of the pupil.
- The herb is an effective remedy for scanty menstruation. It also assists in the regularization of the monthly periods.
- Intake of parsley juice combined with beet, carrot and cucumber juices regularly relieves the cramps as a result of menstrual irregularities.
INSECT BITES AND WOUNDS:
- Bruised parsley is good as an application to the bites and stings of insects.
- Likewise, it is very effective when applied on bruised and inflamed joints.
- It is a most cleansing suppuration when applied to open wounds.
- Parsley is very effective remedy for bad breath.
- Boil 2 cups of water with coarsely chopped parsley sprigs and 2-3 whole cloves. The mixture has to be stirred frequently while cooling. It is tthen strained and can be used as a mouthwash or gargle several times a day.
- Parsley should be steeped in boiling water till it is soft and juicy. It can be applied to the boils when comfortably hot and wrapped with clean muslin.
- Raw parsley juice is an extremely potent remedy. It should never be taken in quantities exceeding 60 ml at a time, especially when mixed with a larger quantity of carrot or other raw vegetable juice such as celery, lettuce or spinach.
- parsley can be added freely to salads and soups.
(source: " Herbs that heal" by Mr. H K Bakhru)