Whole-wheat flour - 100 g
Rye flour - 100 g
Cornmeal - 100 g
Bicarbonate of soda - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Raisins - 100 g
Black treacle - 125 ml
Butter milk - 300 ml
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the treacle and butter-milk. Using a wooden spoon mix the liquids together and gradually incorporate the flour mixture.
- Continue stirring until the mixture is well mixed.
- Grease a 1 litre pudding basin. Pour the mixture. Cover the basin with greased foil and tie it tightly under the rim.
- Put the pudding basin in a saucepan containing 2 cm of boiling water.
- Cover the pan and cook for 3 hours, adding more water as it evaporates.
- Serve the bread hot, or cool on a rack first.