Urad dal – 50 gms
Parboiled rice – 200 gms
Raw rice- 200 gms
Salt to taste
For the tempering:
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Onions – 50 gms (chopped)
Grated coconut – ½
Green chillies – ½ tsp (chopped)
Curry leaves – few
- Soak both the rice varieties and urad dal in water for 2 hours.
- Drain and wash in running water twice.
- Grind to a smooth paste, adding adequate water for a pouring consistency.
- Rest the batter to ferment for 5-6 hours in a warm place.
- Heat oil and crackle mustard seeds, add chopped onions, grated coconut, chopped green chilli and curry leaves. Saute and set aside.
- Add the tempering and salt to the batter.
- Pour the batter in the preheated, oil greased kuzhi paniharam kadai (concave griddle) and cook till done.
- Turn over the dumpling from the griddle and serve with tomato chutney.